Click for downloadable worksheet.
Assignment: Redesign a Shirt
What’s a Redesign?
When you take an existing shirt and change its purpose. For example, take a shirt and change it to a bag, a dress, pants or other wearable garment. Be creative! Follow these steps while creating your redesigned shirt :
Step 1. In your sketchbook, add a picture of the original shirt you are redesigning before creating your new design.
Step 2. Document steps you make to redesign the shirt in your sketchbook.
• Draw sketches of possible design options.
• Write notes and label designs tracking all changes made along the way.
• Take a picture of the final reconstructed design.
Step 3. Write an artist’s statement about your interest in fashion and how your redesigned garment relates to your style. Your statement should also include:
• Why you chose this shirt to redesign
• How you changed the original shirt design to its new style and purpose
Step 4 Bring your final redesigned garment for review.